Monday, May 3, 2010

Nico, the new creature

We have a new visitor at the Johnston home. It's the same story every time.

I come home from work, walk up the front steps, and everything goes down hill from here.
Me (to myself): Do I hear barking? [my pulse quickens, my face reddens, and I clinch my fists]
Me (aloud now): Andrew!!!!! Is there another dog in my house?
Drew (through shaky laughter): Uh, yeah.
Me: Why do you keep bringing dogs home?
Drew: You never let me keep them.
Me: Because you keep bringing them home!

We usually carry this conversation full circle a couple of times before I storm off, screaming, "You do not respect me!"

This week's lucky puppy is a two year-old Yorkie named Nico. He's pretty cute, I guess. He is badly in need of a hair cut, though. I think it's safe to say he's fairly normal. Although, he is a licker. I'm not so fond of lickers, really. According to Andrew, licking issues or not, Nico is sticking around. I can't help but wonder: if I give in, when will the madness stop?

I suppose things could be far worse. We have had some special dogs over the last five years. I'll attempt a recap.

1. India, the crazy yellow Lab
2. Some old Shih Tzu, blind as a bat--deaf, too, if I remember correctly, escaped under the fence the very first day at our house
3. Sheba, the Chinese Crested peed everywhere
4. I think there was a chocolate lab puppy somewhere in here. I don't recall a name.
5. Bennett, the Maltese puppy who had Parvo and loved rolling around in his poop
6. Grits, the mutt brother of Biscuit and Gravy(?), thought he could scale my shower curtain. I had a breakdown over this one.
7. Diego came next! (He had a broken leg.)
8. Savannah, the Doberman with a broken leg
9. Mr. Al, the black Lab who did not like to be touched
10. Champ, the black Lab who was terrified of thunder and once jumped on my head during the middle of the night
11. and now, Nico

It is likely that I've forgotten a few names here and there. It really is difficult to remember them all. The top ten, though, they'll stick with me, I'm sure.

I guess, for now, I'll just pray, for the preservation of my own sanity, that Nico remains mentally and physically stable and that my dear, sweet husband does not feel inclined to foster any more creatures any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment