Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Skippyjon is back... and we're loving him!


Every night before sleepy time, we (my sons: Connor-5, Brett-10 months, husband: Andrew, and myself) all snuggle into Connor's tiny twin bed. Connor insist that both Brett and he "be in the middle," even on nights when it's just the three of us (because Daddy's busy) and there can only really be one little boy in the middle. Naturally, though, I agree because as Connor says, "It is more snugly bugly that way."

When we're finally settled and squished together in the most snugly way, I ask Connor which story he'd like to read. He has quite the library--all of my children's books, his uncle's, even some of his Mimi's childhood favorites, not to mention the many treasures resulting from my fast pass to the Scholastic warehouse sale (FABULOUS!). With so many options, it seems Connor can never choose just one book. Thus, every evening I have the privilege of making the choice myself, pulling my favorites from the shelves, fingering their pages, and smiling at the opportunity to share those favorites with my two little guys.

We have certainly acquired some new favorites (thanks to that fast pass) recently. We love all things Mo Willems and David Shannon. As of late, though, Judy Schachner's silly kitty, Skippyjon Jones, has once again topped our list. He's back in Skippyjon Jones and the Big Bones. Who wouldn't adore a tiny Siamese kitten with humongous ears, who aspires to be Skippito the chihuahua of his day dreams? Clever names, playful alliteration, and a sing-song beat make this story enjoyable for kids and grown-ups, too. You'll be on the edge of your bed as you seek to determine the fate of Skippito Friskito in his closet adventures. No spoilers here, though! You'll have to check it out yourself. I will warn you; it has life-altering potential. We are seriously considering changing Don Diego's (more to come on our family's very own chihuahua soon) name to Skippito Friskito. Yes, it's just that good. You'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment